INCUMBENT, Emmaus Anglican Church, Sault Ste. Marie
The Archbishop of Algoma is seeking to appoint an Incumbent for Emmaus Anglican Church, Sault Ste. Marie. It is a full-time position and includes a housing allowance.
In September 2016, after much prayer and discussion, the parishes of St. John the Evangelist and St. Matthew’s in Sault Ste. Marie merged to form a new parish, Emmaus, on the site of the former St. Matthew’s. They believe God has called them to be a gathered community that:
- Is patterned by the gospel narrative
- Tells a new story in the city
- Is committed to discipleship
- Is inspired by a robust hope
- Exists for the sake of others
The congregation would welcome a new Incumbent who feels called to their midst and who is supportive of the mission and vision of Emmaus as they grow in their journey of faith together. They are hoping for an individual who is energetic, young at heart, open-minded, and willing to be involved in the many community building and missional ventures the parish is involved with as their ongoing ministry in God’s world.
Emmaus is in the beautiful border town of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, on the north shore of the St. Mary’s River, which separates Lake Huron and Lake Superior. The small city of 73,000 is truly “naturally gifted” and is noted as Algoma’s Friendliest City. It is a virtual paradise for people who enjoy outdoor activities in all four seasons. It is home to excellent post-secondary facilities and offers a variety of educational options at the elementary and secondary school levels. There is no lack of cultural opportunities and exposure in the city. Sault Ste. Marie is home to the Algoma Conservatory (second largest conservatory in Ontario), Sault Symphony, Art Gallery of Algoma, and a variety of theatre groups to just name a few.
Those desiring to apply for this position are asked to submit their applications to Archbishop Anne Germond (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please ensure that you provide the following information with your application:
- If you are resident outside of the Diocese of Algoma, a signed statement confirming that you have received permission from your bishop to make application to this diocese;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- A letter of application introducing yourself and describing your “Vision For Ministry” at Emmaus and why you think you are suited to this position based on your knowledge of the parish and careful reading of the Parish Profile; and
- The names and contact information for three references. As a matter of courtesy and due diligence, we will be contacting the existing or former bishops of those who have been short-listed.
You will be notified to confirm that we have received your application but regret that we cannot provide information on the status of your application while the process is underway. We would ask you not to contact the parish directly. You will be informed when an appointment has been made.
Applications for this vacancy will be received until an appointment is made. Inquirers are invited to write to:
The Most Reverend Anne Germond
Archbishop of Algoma
619 Wellington Street East
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6A 2M6
Telephone: 705-256-5061 x23